Friday, January 25, 2013

Cultivating Your Personal Creativity by Dr. Bob Weathers

In response to my earlier blog post about Dr. Mark Epstein's excellent book, "Open to Desire" (which see here), a reader asked:

"What would you say to someone who chooses to block off mundane existence and focus only on work to survive?"

Great question, in my opinion! 


First, I would give them my total respect and support. As in Abraham Maslow and his famous hierarchy of needs:
when someone, any of us, needs to focus on survival needs, that is not only NOT mundane, but trumps all so-called higher needs (as those alliterated in Mark Epstein's commentary on the Dalai Lama's perspective; see my earlier blog post).

You might even say (though this won't be uncontroversial) that a person's spirituality at that point is subsumed in the material, survival-based realm.

In fact I recently heard a story, which relates:


A farmer went to his priest to ask for a blessing on the farmer's new crop, just planted. The priest came to his fields, took one look, and stated to the farmer: "You don't need prayer right now, you need more manure!"

Get it? At any given level of motivation (again, see Maslow's hierarchy on Google), the priorities of that level are paramount. So, if one needs to focus on survival ("manure"), THAT then constitutes the authentic spirituality, or "prayer" (translate: valid motivation) inherent in that particular level.

Having said that...

May I suggest one further thought (perhaps appearing contradictory with the above)?

In addition to applying ourselves fully, let's say to survival needs, we ought not to give 100% of our attention and energies there; else we risk burning out. So what then?

Cultivate your art-form.

Whether you dance, garden, meditate, hike, or like me, drum: make sure to give yourself time to regenerate the engine (your soul or deepest self). 

My own observation, across a lifetime, is that: as I give myself time to cultivate creativity (my given "art-form"), my so-called "mundane" life begins to feel less and less mundane. Survival, while necessary, doesn't define me quite so much. I actually begin to thrive --- and not just spiritually.

Homework assignment (ever the teacher, Dr. Bob!): make a list of your top three "art-forms," or outlets for, literally, re-creating or renewing your Self. Commit to cultivating, engaging in, that art-form no less than two hours this week. And the next. And the next. Get back to me in a month and tell me that this practice, this commitment, didn't already yield fruit, soul benefit, in your daily life.

I promise you...

No comments:

Post a Comment